I joined Aalto University in 2015 as Professor of New Frontiers in Design at Aalto University. As a researcher, educator and designer, I specialize in participatory and critical practices of design. Previously in Sweden, I worked at Konstfack College of Arts Crafts and Design, at KTH Royal Institute of Technology School of Achitecture, at the national PhD school Designfakulteten, and at the Interactive Institute. Trained as a designer and architect, I have worked in design consultancies and corporate research in the US and Europe, and my PhD is in interaction design. I have led, published and exhibited widely through interdisciplinary and international research projects in the areas of politically-engaged design, feminist design studies, sustainable development, smart materials, and interactive spaces.
Recent research activities
My recent research outcomes and projects include the 'Feminist Futures' book with colleagues at KTH, ‘Utopia Now Here’ situated at the 2014 Istanbul Design Biennial, ‘Designing Social Innovation’ survey of projects in the US and Europe, and DESIGN ACT Socially- and politically-engaged design today (Berlin: Sternberg Press / Iaspis, 2010).
My recent courses at Aalto University
- Design for Government MUO-E8012 10ECTS in Creative Sustainability,
- Perspectives on Research through Art and Design MUO-L0006 4ECTS PhD course
- INTRO E0000 2ECTS for all MA Design across 5 programs
- Research Through Practice MUO-L0003 1-3ECTS 2016 PhD summer school
I'm involved in the 'Urban Studies and Planning', a new joint Master's programme between Aalto University and University of Helsinki, in particular through co-teaching these courses:
- Designing for Urban Governance and Services, USP-323 5ECTS with Antti Pirinen
- Urban Transitions and Futures, USP-343 5ECTS led by Idil Gaziulusoy
Since 2016, I am also a co-editor of the prominent journal Design Issues.
A short selection of my publications below...